thesecondopinion incorporates sustainability into our core business operations through internal and external efforts. Specifically, we shall adopt the following policies and practices:
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Purchase environmentally preferable products
- Conserve energy, water and natural resources
- Practice green business policies on checklist
thesecondopinion educates employees on resource consvervation and pollution prevention by-
- Hosting only zero waste events i.e. ensuring that no waste is generated during company picnics, meetings.
- Informing employees of environmental issues in company newsletters, training material and staff meeting discussions
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle:
thesecondopinion reduces waste at the source by-
- printing double sided when possible, buying in bulk, and eliminating disposable products such as dishes and single serve water bottles
- Reusing equipment such as desks, lamps, furniture, or donate usable items to charities
- Strive to reach Zero Waste by recycling all resources such as paper, plastics, cardboard, glass, and aluminum AND composting all food and plant discards.
thesecondopinion reduces use of toxic materials to protect employee health and the environment by-
- Only purchasing low toxic janitorial cleaning products accepted on S Fapproved, Green Seal or have an 8.1 rating or above on Good Guide.
- Batteries – Purchasing rechargeable hybrid batteries.
- Lamps – Purchasing T8’s or T5’s, low mercury fluorescent lamps, CFLs, LEDs and/or low wattage halogen lights.
- Disposing of all toxic products safely such as old paints or non-approved cleaning products and recycle CFL’s, fluorescent tubes, and batteries.
- Avoids purchasing toxic substances and any aerosol cans.
- Remanufactured toner cartridges
- Chlorine-free office and computer paper, business cards, marketing materials, collateral, etc. with minimum of 50% post-consumer recycled content
- Chlorine-free janitorial papers (toilet paper, facial tissues, napkins with minimum 20% PCW, paper towels minimum 40% PCW)
- Promotional materials with soy or low-VOC inks
- Energy Star rated refrigerators, appliances and office equipment
- EPEAT certified computers, laptops, and monitors (http://epeat.net/)
- The most water efficient toilets, urinals, showerheads and faucet aerators
- The most environmentally friendly vehicles
thesecondopinion conserves fossil fuels by-
- Promoting the use of public transit and commuter alternatives
- Offering telecommuting options
- Participating in spare the air campaigns and emergency ride home
- Using energy-conserving hardware programs and unplugging equipment
- Reusing and refusing packaging materials
- Emphasizing repurposing of items in lieu of purchasing new items
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing: